Re: Boot problems on a B&W G3.

Derrik Pates wrote:
On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 03:44:10PM -0400, Matt Gracie wrote:

I've been doing a little more work on this. As far as I can tell, the error in the debian packaged kernels is because the kernel modules included in the 2.6 series kernels are different than the ones in the 2.4 kernels. The Silicon Image IDE controller that's in my Rev 2 B&W isn't compiled in.

I'm guessing that's a separate PCI card you have in your unit? I'm running
Debian (currently sid) on my blue & white G3 (rev. 2, 350 MHz CPU). The
onboard Ultra ATA-capable IDE controller is a CMD646.

Hmm. lspci says that it's a Silicon Image (formerly CMD) model. I just compiled both drivers in to be safe.

Can you boot it into single user mode (by appending 'single' to the kernel
command line)? Or boot directly into /bin/sh (by appending 'init=/bin/sh'),
and make sure the device nodes exist, or at least try to determine what's
happening? It sounds like either something's not right in the udev
configuration, or maybe in inittab, I'm not really sure.

I can get in via SSH. It looks like the tty nodes in /dev are using the devfs style nomenclature (/dev/vc/1, /dev/vc/2) rather than the standard nomenclature I'm looking for (/dev/tty1, /dev/tty2). I do have udev installed, but the last kernel I compiled had devfs support so it seems to be sticking around.

I suppose I need to either tell inittab to look at /dev/vc/1 for the terminal, or I need to get udev to put it in the proper place. Do you know how to do either of those?

Strangely I've run Debian on mine since I got it, and I've run Debian on a
G3 previously, and it's never given me any trouble.

That is strange. I've never had a problem with Debian on PPC hardware -- I've installed it on a dozen or so machines, including two with the exact same processor at this thing (a G3/400 Pismo Powerbook and iMac DV SE) and never hit a snag. This particular machine just has me flummoxed.

Oh, and in case anyone from d-i is reading this, the etch netinst image doesn't work at _all_ -- doesn't even detect the IDE controller. I had to install from an old stable CD I had lying around.

--Matt