Re: mysqld.sock missing

Am Freitag, den 12.08.2005, 07:45 -0500 schrieb Mannequin*:

> Last night I believe I upgraded mysql. Now whenever I try and use mysql, I get
> this error:
>
> > ~$ mysql
> > ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> > '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

I had a similar problem. What does '/etc/init.d/mysql start' say? If it
does not start, then open your /etc/mysql/my.cnf and comment out
'old_passwords' (mysql now fails with this option).

> I've tried reinstalling mysql-server-4.1, mysql-client-4.1, and
> libmysqlclient14, but nothing seems to work. I've looked through documentation,
> with nothing being said about a missing 'mysqld.sock' file.

This normally means, that your mysql-server is not running.

> My system is a PB G3 Firewire (Pismo) running Debian/Etch. Any help would be
> appreciated.

If mysqld does not start, you should have a look at the syslog.

Regards, Daniel