Re: mysqld.sock missing

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 07:45:15AM -0500, Mannequin* wrote:
> Last night I believe I upgraded mysql. Now whenever I try and use mysql, I get
> this error:
>
> > ~$ mysql
> > ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> > '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
>
> I've tried reinstalling mysql-server-4.1, mysql-client-4.1, and
> libmysqlclient14, but nothing seems to work. I've looked through documentation,
> with nothing being said about a missing 'mysqld.sock' file.

If you run 'netstat -lnp --unix' (as root), you should see the path to
mysqld.sock, or mysql.sock, or similar in the list, assuming mysqld is
running and has set up the UNIX domain socket (which it should by default).
Maybe it's using /etc/mysql/my.cnf from your old install, and it contains
a path to the wrong location for the UNIX domain socket.

--
Derrik Pates
demon@devrandom.net