mysqld.sock missing

Hi all,

Last night I believe I upgraded mysql. Now whenever I try and use mysql, I get
this error:

> ~$ mysql
> ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

I've tried reinstalling mysql-server-4.1, mysql-client-4.1, and
libmysqlclient14, but nothing seems to work. I've looked through documentation,
with nothing being said about a missing 'mysqld.sock' file.

My system is a PB G3 Firewire (Pismo) running Debian/Etch. Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks!
-M.