To: Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr>
Cc: debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org, debian-kernel@lists.debian.org,
	linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 2.6.12 debian powerpc kernels and ppc64 ...
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 22:17:37 +0200

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 07:23:05AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 07:52:30PM +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> > Hi Sven
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 11:04:17PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I would like testers who want to test new powerpc kernels on ppc64 machines :
> > >
> > > These i have uploaded here :
> > >
> > >   http://people.debian.org/~luther/ppc64/kernel-image-2.6.12-sven_1_powerpc.deb
> >
> > At least the latter one works here. Or at least it boots here without any probs,
> > as it seems .. :
> >
> > $ uname -a
> > Linux debby 2.6.12-sven #1 Fri Jul 15 13:44:26 UTC 2005 ppc GNU/Linux
> >
> > $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> > processor       : 0
> > cpu             : 7455, altivec supported
> > clock           : 867MHz
> > revision        : 0.2 (pvr 8001 0302)
> > bogomips        : 865.18
> > machine         : PowerBook3,5
> > motherboard     : PowerBook3,5 MacRISC2 MacRISC Power Macintosh
> > detected as     : 80 (PowerBook Titanium IV)
> > pmac flags      : 0000001b
> > L2 cache        : 256K unified
> > memory          : 768MB
> > pmac-generation : NewWorld
>
> As was expectet, the 64bit is the one i am not sure about.
>
> > But how come this kernel still does not have the necessary patches
> > applied to run kismet:
>
> Please provide a bug report with this info,

No. Please see:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/8/27/303

As you can see I sent them a bug report once. It won't happen again in
the foreseeable future.

And as you also can see from the thread info on the left-hand bar of
that page nobody seemed to be interested in the problem. IIRC I could
not compile for weeks or perhaps even months a new 2.4 kernel version
because of the mentioned errors.

> i will apply as soon as i am back
> in 2 weeks, if someone from the kernel team doesn't beat me to it.

The site for the patch I used, IIRC:
<http://www.kismetwireless.net/download.shtml#orinoco2611>

wget http://www.kismetwireless.net/code/orinoco-2.6.12-rfmon-dragorn-1.diff

The md5sum for the latter that I have here is
41fb7cec09f4de93cd2432eb1aceba92

So if yours will be different you can let me know.

And I applied the patch to 2.6.12. Or better: I probably patched a
2.6.11 (tarball) source with patch-2.6.12.bz2, and then applied the
above orinoco patch. (Uncertainty because it's already a few weeks ago
I compiled this kernel ... )

And just in case it might help someone else:
The following snippet might serve as an example of how to compile this
more or less wifi ready patched source [Please check for yourself in
case I made any mistakes ... :) ... ]:

------------------------
tar xzvf linux-2.6.11.tar.gz
cd linux-2.6.11/
bzip2 -cd  /path/to/patch-2.6.12.bz2 | patch -p1

[then applying the orinoco patch from above]

cp /boot/someconfig .
make oldconfig
fakeroot make-kpkg clean

time MAKEFLAGS="CC=gcc-4.0"  fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version=-somename --revision +anothername kernel_image

or

 time MAKEFLAGS="CC=gcc-4.0"  fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version=+orinoco-patched --revision +050703 kernel_image

HTH

Thanks for responding, Sven ... and yes: for your work, too :)

And sorry for refusing to play nice if things run ugly ..

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer