Re: Powerbook5,6 German keyboard

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 10:42:52AM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Hi Helge,
>
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 05:48:31PM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 11:09:14AM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > > I documented what I did to make my German keyboard behave.
> > > It is in http://intevation.de/~bernhard/ppc/powerbook5,6/
> >
> > Did you base it on my previous work (i.e., from the Debian package)?
>
> no, because
> 	a) I was in a hurry to get it working
> 	b) It was based on my previous work, years ago
> 	(and I think submitted then.)
> 	c) the real solution for the switched keys is probably different
> 	   and should be in the kernel or somewhere else.
> 	d) I do not understand enough about this keyboard stuff
>
> > > Note: I have not looked at Jochen Voss' xkb keymap, this was just
> > > a quick hack that works for me.
> > > http://seehuhn.de/comp/powerbook/#keyboard
> >
> > Can you please submit it to the BTS (at least once xorg hits unstable)
> > to get it include upstream? It would be really nice because then
> > *everyone* can benefit and not everyone would have to do "quick hacks".
>
> I published my hack to help others.

This is not helpfull at all, please consider doing the right thing, and at
least CCing one of the bug reports open about such things for documentation.
Doing little hack in your corner is fine, but writing self-glorifying howtos
is evil, and something that has plagued the debian-powerpc port since forever.

(no offense meant against you, just because of this kind of stuff nobody invests
the time needed to fix the issues for real).

Friendly,

Sven Luther