Re: Powerbook5,6 German keyboard

Hi Helge,

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 05:48:31PM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 11:09:14AM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > I documented what I did to make my German keyboard behave.
> > It is in http://intevation.de/~bernhard/ppc/powerbook5,6/
>
> Did you base it on my previous work (i.e., from the Debian package)?

no, because
	a) I was in a hurry to get it working
	b) It was based on my previous work, years ago
	(and I think submitted then.)
	c) the real solution for the switched keys is probably different
	   and should be in the kernel or somewhere else.
	d) I do not understand enough about this keyboard stuff

> > Note: I have not looked at Jochen Voss' xkb keymap, this was just
> > a quick hack that works for me.
> > http://seehuhn.de/comp/powerbook/#keyboard
>
> Can you please submit it to the BTS (at least once xorg hits unstable)
> to get it include upstream? It would be really nice because then
> *everyone* can benefit and not everyone would have to do "quick hacks".

I published my hack to help others.
It is one piece of a puzzle that I know I miss a lot of the big picture.
This was the best I could do.

Xorg has hit unstable as far as I can see.
I would usually test it (currently not possible) before submitting bugs.
With reasonable doubt that my solution is the correct one (see c) above)
a bug report might even distract people.
My hope is that somebody searching for keymaps might find my information
and it will help to complete the puzzle for good.

	Bernhard