Re: Sarge / OldWorld / Boot X

I installed sarge some month ago on a Wallstreet, was a real good suggestion from one of this list. I'm not too sure, but I think I took the kernel from the install cd, if I'm right there was an oldworld directory. The kernel was 2.4, so everything was fine. I also tried to switch to 2.6 kernel (you need to copy the kernel and image.rd to the linux-kernels-directory inside sytemfolder of macos)... The only trouble I got was with the display, so I got stripes running down the screen. But this is a problem I sooner also encountered it's got to do with resolution and colour depth. When these are too high this stripes appear, so I guess it's got to do with the graphic memory, or something like this.
But besides this 2.6 started perfect and does a good job.
And if it doesen't work, just keep the backup 2.4 image before the try. It's easy to switch back (just restore the 2.4 image to the linux - kernels directory used for boot x)

Hope this helps,

Rainer

Dimitri Apostola schrieb:

I was wondering -- the Installation Manual for using OldWorld Macs and
hard drive booting says to use the Woody installation files, and those
seem to work alright, but the directory structure on the FTP has
naturally changed between Woody and Sarge, and so the files that one
would use for this process (a linux.bin among others) don't seem to
exist anymore.

So I guess I was wondering if I was looking in the wrong place, or if
there was a similar process that could be done using Boot X, but using
sarge and a 2.6 kernel?

Thanks!

begin:vcard
fn:Rainer Gutkas
n:Gutkas;Rainer
adr;quoted-printable:;;Kleiststr. 36;St.P=C3=B6lten;;A-3100;Austria
email;internet:rainer.gutkas@kstp.at
title:Bakk. techn. (B.Sc.)
version:2.1
end:vcard