Mounting CF card

I just bought the new Canon Digital Rebel XT 350D, and I want to know how I can mount a CompactFlash card (Lexar 1GB 80x). I need help mounting the CF card, and also want to know if there are any reliable apps for converting RAW image files. I'm running Debian Sarge on an Apple PowerBook G3 500 'Pismo,' with the 2.6.8 kernel.

I tried to find a solution on Google for mounting the flash card. I tried

code:
mount -t vfat /dev/sda2

And even to specifically allocated directories. I am met with the following response:

code:
mount: special device /dev/sda2 does not exist

I tried several variations, including sda1, sda3, sdb1, sdb2, etc., but none provided results. When looking for /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab, neither were found. I also tried

code:
 mount -t vfat  /media/flash

only to be responded with the directions for mount.

If someone could help me out with mounting and with the program for converting RAW files, I'd be very appreciative. I wouldn't want to have to return to proprietary software (OS X) just to care for my first love of photography in my switch to digital. Thanks a lot!