Re: date wrong when ext3 fs mounted, 2.6.12-rc kernels

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Ken Moffat wrote:

>  Last night I booted, and after I'd logged in I looked at dumpe2fs for
> the /home fs - although I'd only just mounted it, the 'last mount time'
> was Mon Aug 22 02:33:35 2005 instead of the expected Wed Jun 15 23:45:00
> 2005 or thereabouts.  By the time I logged in, ntp had corrected the
> date.  Somebody on another list said he'd seen something similar on a
> mac mini around 2.6.12-rc4 and it was solved by altering something in
> his .config, but there are a *lot* of differences there - anybody got
> any pointers on what to look at for this ?

Looks as if CONFIG_DEVFS_FS=y was the problem (hmm, wonder where _that_
crap got into my config ?) - a look at my logs suggests that the
date/time were somewhat random with it set, but mostly not far enough
adrift to force an fsck (e.g. my last duff kernel booted up about 29.5
hours slow).

Possibly, something introduced in the 2.6.12 series has broken it, or
perhaps it's always been a bit random, but since devfs is going away
whenever linus picks up the patches, there isn't a lot of point looking
more deeply at it.

Ken