Re: Fn key and 2.6.12-rc4

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 16:59 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > but after applying Johannes Bergs Fnkey patch to the
> > 2.6.12-rc4 kernel I get some strange behaviour. I know the patch is not
> > meant for 2.6.12, but I applied it anyway after some modifications to
> > the patch (just version numbers).
>
> I don't see what you'd have to modify with my patch, in fact I applied
> the same patch to a couple of 12-rc's fine (1,2 and 3 iirc). And it
> worked. Just use patch -p1 from the kernel dir instead of patch -p0 from
> above.
>
> > Pressing a key combination with the Fn
> > key now in kernel 2.6.12-rc4 (example Fn+down for pagedown) doesn't work
> > until a certain delay. During this delay, the event from the un-modified
> > key (in this case, down) is triggered, causing first some down-events,
> > then a pagedown. Anyone else experienced this?
>
> Sorry, I haven't tried rc4 yet. Very strange behaviour though. Maybe
> some input handling differs wrt. absolute events? I can't imagine
> anything should have changed.
>
> johannes

First of all, I'm now running the 2.6.12-rc6 kernel with your original
fn patch applied as you said. I still have the same problems...

I first thought the problem was caused by gnome, but after testing with
an X server running only xterm where the fn key also didn't work as
expected (actually, the fn key didn't work at all in the xterm), I'm
thinking it has to be something else that is causing the problem. I've
also tried booting the old kernel (2.6.11.8) where I found the fn key
working as expected (same xkb setup). The fact that I experience the
correct behavior on the same software but on the older kernel also leads
me to think there is some difference in the kernel leading to the
strange behavior.

What is strange is that Fn+Down/Up works as expected *only* in
gnome-terminal when switching tabs with Ctrl+PgUp/PgDown. It does not
work in any other program I've tested.

If anyone could help me debug this, it would be very appreciated.

Thank you
--
Johannes H. Jensen <joh@deworks.net>
deworks