Re: MOL

On Thursday 19 May 2005 01:09, Fallen_Angel wrote:
> Hi, it's been a while since I have posted to this list, and for that I
> apologize.  Am I still welcome to post here since I have changed to
> ubuntu?  At first I would think no, but then again it is based on SID,
> so I am not sure.  Well if not tell me, and I will duck out, but if so I
> have a question as always.

I would say that you should probably ask questions of your own distro first,
just in case they have done something different.  If no one from ubuntu
knows, and they confirm that it's not an ubuntu-specific thing, that's a good
time to take it to a larger, but similar distro, or the to mailing lists of
the actual software itself.

This is pretty much what debian folk do with bugs anyway: we have our own bug
reporting system, which "wraps" the bug reporting systems of the actual
software, just in case debian has caused the problem itself.

> I just compiled a 2.6.12-rc4 kernel, and am planning to use it as a main
> kernel, not just to test it, and to use MOL you have to compile the
> kernel module, and it says to use the current kernel headers, so my
> question is this, must I recompile them, since they were compiled off
> the 2.6.10-5-powerpc ubuntu kernel, and if so where do I put, and which
> files are, the kernel headers for this kernel that I have just
> compiled.  Ofcourse I still have the full source of the kernel I
> compiled awaiting a response from this list.

Debian has a module-helper (or module-installer, or something like that)
package to help with this, and other, lower-level utilities that make sure
modules get installed to the right place.  I'm not sure if ubuntu has those.

--
Lee.

Please send replies to the list, not to my email address.