Re: Dead keys won't work

Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete Dutra wrote:
Em Dom, 2005-05-08 às 22:55 +0300, Eddy Petrisor escreveu:

Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete Dutra wrote:

	That is precisely what I don't want -- I want left Option to be Alt (as
labelled), right Option to be Alt-Gr (to create uncommon characters),
and Command to be Meta.  As I understand it you make Option to be both
Alt and Meta, thus depriving Command of usefulness.
I have just read this again, through a ppc user eyes, not as a x86 user...

I have two command buttons that are linked together (hardware), one alt
aka option (left), one ctrl and two shift (iirc, acting as one); last
but the most annoying is the numpad enter which I would gladly change
for an insert/delete (ins = num_ent, del = alt(gr)+num_ent)

I have managed to remap del on that button and also on shift+backspace :)

#transforms KP_Enter in Delete
xmodmap -e "keycode 108 = Delete"

#get your new hot AltGr out of the key between z and left shift
xmodmap -e "keycode 94 = Alt_R"

well, I don't feel any discomfort here, as both command buttons emit the
same code here. :-)
	Good for you -- the software I use really feels better with separate
Alt and Meta keys, and the use I want really needs AltGr.

I meant that the keys (from a hardware connection POV) are identical.

	Besides, I really need AltGr to produce some extra characters, such as
the Euro, vowels with macron for Greek transliteration, etc.

I guess you should dig then :D

I have in /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb/options = [lv3 lv3:lwin_switch,grp grp:alts_toggle]

	I'd really like to understand these options...

when setting them from the gui (keyboard pref) for some of them there
are hints iirc... (nope they do not, but the strings are, for some,
pretty comprehensible)

	So what would lswin_switch and alts_toggle mean?

Press Left Win-key to choose 3rd level
and
Both Alt keys together change group

Probably you will not need the second option or maybe that's just what
you need.

Anyway, I think this is the path you should follow. (Use the GUI to make
these changes; they are applied instanlty, so you can test fast).

I want that, too (the console and whole X to act like that), but I found
that I should edit some keyboard mappings, a thing that I don't know.
	There really should be a GUI util or a HOWTO document for that...
I guess, but I never found it. Be my guest and tell me if you do find
such a HOWTO.

--
Regards,
EddyP