Re: Charger ring colour does not fit apm indication

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 01:39 +0300, Eddy Petrisor wrote:

Hello,

I have a powerbook g4 with Debian installed on it and Mac OS X.

The kernel used by me is 2.6.9 with benh's sleep patch.

I have some concerns regarding charging and the battery:
1) When inserting the charger into the laptop and the battery is partially charged, then the light ring on the charger plug is orange. I know this is normal, but sometimes while the power applet indicates that the battery is not charged, the ring lits green.

2) I am also woried about the best practice regarding the charging as I use the laptop as my main workstation. When I put the laptop to sleep the ring also switches to green which makes me think that I am overchaging the battery, thus killing it slowly. Do I need to worry about this thing?

3) Sometimes, after a long time having the chager plugger the charging is stopped (the ring turns off) and is not restored until I pull the charger out of the power socket and reinsert it in. I suspect some problems in the power adapter (laptop was originally built for Ireland while I live in Romania so I use a power plug addapter), but I am afraid the laptop commands at some point "stop recharging". Is the chager this smart? Should I worry or should I just serch for a replace for the power addapter?

The charging of battery is entirely controlled in HW. I don't think the
actual power adapter has anything to do with it though. The ring color
is a trick but is, I think, controlled by the machine (or maybe is
related to the amount of power "sucked" by the laptop, dunno for sure).

It has to do with the power that is sucked.
At sometime I have accidentaly touched the cord while plugged in the wall socket and it turned orange, a very red-ish orange. I assume that there is some kind of multi-colour led that is controlled through the current that passes through it.

There is a trick though, there are apparently several kind of power
adapters, some below 65W and some above or something like that. OS X has
some code to detect the wattage of the power adapter and eventually
force the machine to run low speed when charging a batter or something
around those lines when running on a "weak" adapter.

I don't do that in Linux.

Would it make sense to act in the same manner in Linux?
What if the adapter is forced (pushed too close to its electrical limits)? Maybe, if behaving like OS X, the adapter is protected.

Did anybody else had a simillar problem?

In any case, If is a kernel problem, which version should I use?

I don't think it's a kernel problem. In fact, I don't think there is any
problem at all..

Well, then there is the plug adapter problem.

Or could it be that my power adapter is broken in some way and stops giving power in some circumstances? (a little OT-ish question here)

Ben.

--
Regards,
EddyP