Re: Charger ring colour does not fit apm indication

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 01:39 +0300, Eddy Petrisor wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a powerbook g4 with Debian installed on it and Mac OS X.
>
> The kernel used by me is 2.6.9 with benh's sleep patch.
>

> I have some concerns regarding charging and the battery:
> 1) When inserting the charger into the laptop and the battery is
> partially charged, then the light ring on the charger plug is orange. I
> know this is normal, but sometimes while the power applet indicates that
> the battery is not charged, the ring lits green.
>
> 2) I am also woried about the best practice regarding the charging as I
> use the laptop as my main workstation. When I put the laptop to sleep
> the ring also switches to green which makes me think that I am
> overchaging the battery, thus killing it slowly. Do I need to worry
> about this thing?
>
> 3) Sometimes, after a long time having the chager plugger the charging
> is stopped (the ring turns off) and is not restored until I pull the
> charger out of the power socket and reinsert it in. I suspect some
> problems in the power adapter (laptop was originally built for Ireland
> while I live in Romania so I use a power plug addapter), but I am afraid
> the laptop commands at some point "stop recharging". Is the chager this
> smart? Should I worry or should I just serch for a replace for the power
> addapter?

The charging of battery is entirely controlled in HW. I don't think the
actual power adapter has anything to do with it though. The ring color
is a trick but is, I think, controlled by the machine (or maybe is
related to the amount of power "sucked" by the laptop, dunno for sure).

There is a trick though, there are apparently several kind of power
adapters, some below 65W and some above or something like that. OS X has
some code to detect the wattage of the power adapter and eventually
force the machine to run low speed when charging a batter or something
around those lines when running on a "weak" adapter.

I don't do that in Linux.

> In any case, If is a kernel problem, which version should I use?

I don't think it's a kernel problem. In fact, I don't think there is any
problem at all..

Ben.