Re: Bluetooth on new PB (5,6)

Hi,

> I had a surge of adrenaline when I read that Johannes Berg had managed to
> get bluetooth working on his post-feb 2005 PB.

Heh.

> First off, I have to confess one thing : I am a gentoo user, so my
> problems could come from that.

I wouldn't know, I never used gentoo, but I doubt it.

> What I tried :
> - Different kernels :
>     - 2.6.10 (gentoo-kernel)
>     - 2.6.11.5 (vanilla)
>     - 2.6.11.6 (vanilla)

Personally, as you can see on my homepage, I use 2.6.11.7 + patches. You
shouldn't run a vanilla 2.6.11(.X) kernel on a new powerbook, too many
things including temperature control won't work. Please see
http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/PowerBook.

> What is fairly interesting is that although they all have the new usb
> enumeration as a default, only 2.6.10 generated the -71 error johannes was
> talking about.
> When I enabled use_both_schemes 2.6.10 stopped showing that error.
> However,
> when I look at the devices enumerated by the kernel, all three versions
> report, on hub number one, only ports 1 and 3, and never the second port.

I don't think I see the second port either, but I'm not sure (don't have
mz PB here right now). But I think the keyboard is on the first, and
bluetooth on the second and third or something weird.

> Alas, it did not change anything,
>
> - Switching from udev to devfs :
>     - Udev is the default dev-manager for gentoo, and I thought that maybe
> it
> could not create the device (udev has been reported to be unable to create
> device nodes for exotic devices, and I thnik that the whole computer falls
> under that category ;-) )
>
> Well, that did not change anything either.

Ugh. Don't use devfs. udev works just fine, and a bluetooth usb device
does not create any nodes in /dev unless you have rfcomm enabled afaik.

What happens if you load the appropriate modules (usb_hci or hci_usb or
whatever it is called) and then try hcidump?

johannes