unable to mount hfs+ partition read/write

I'm getting the following error message when I try to mount
my OS-X partition read/write (Debian's 2.6.8-9 kernel):

# mount -t hfsplus -o rw /dev/hda5 /osx
# dmesg | tail -1
HFS+-fs warning: Filesystem was not cleanly unmounted, running fsck.hfsplus is recommended.  mounting read-only.

There doesn't seem to be an fsck.hfsplus.  Based on advice
found in the list archives, I tried booting OS-X in
single-user mode (hold down command-S while booting),
running "/sbin/fsck -f", and then rebooting into Debian, but
that did not fix the problem.

Another trick which worked for some people is using
"hpmount /dev/hda5", but that gives me the error:
hpmount: /dev/hda5: Neither Wrapper nor native HFS+ volume header found (Unknown error 4294967295)

How do I convince Linux that this filesystem is clean?  The
OS-X fsck finds no problems with it.

Thanks,
--Andre