Re: Swap

Michael <michael_six@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> How crucial is a swap partition?  The only think I know of it  being
> used for is virtual RAM memory, am I wrong?  Having 896 MB of RAM I
> didn't think that I would need one, but I can either use the 512 MB
> chunk I left free for that, or make another larger partition available,
> if this list of people more knowledgeable in Linux than I, recommends it.

No, you don't need a separate partition. You have enough memory and if it
went to the end, you can always create a empty file run mkswan on it and
use it with swapon /file. But with 896MB RAM you may live a long time
without it.

Jörg.

--
Alles Gute wächst im Dunklen, bis es stark genug ist,
ans Tageslicht zu kommen.