Re: external hdd 2

Sorry,
I did not mention all this because I posted this problem with these
details some days ago.
On the hdd there are two partitions, the first with reiserfs the second
with vfat, the memory stick only with vfat. Trying to mount it the
process got status "D".
After attaching the hdd the dmesg output was:

usb 2-1.3: new full speed USB device using address 5
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
~  Vendor: Genesys   Model: USB to IDE Disk   Rev: 0002
~  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
USB Mass Storage device found at 5
usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
SCSI device sda: 234493056 512-byte hdwr sectors (120060 MB)
sda: assuming Write Enabled
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
~ /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: p1 p2
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

Up to a couple of days ago there were no problems and I did not install
a new kernel in the meantime.
Now I tried to do a fdisk /dev/sda and after some time came the message:
No partition map exists
for both hdd and memory stick. The strange thing is that in MacOS X I
can read the vfat-partitions. So I don't understand what happened.
Thanks for your answer.
- -Björn

Jon Latorre Martinez ha scritto:
| Hi,
|
| What filesystem is using the external HD? Do you have loaded the support
| for it? What says dmesg after plugin the HD? I usually found a problem
| with externat devices usings VFAT fs, the suport for cp437, that some
| people trend to disable. Another thing to check is the master/slave
| configuration of de HD inside de USB enclosure (if you hace built
| the USB HDD), it must be master.
|
| Bye.
|
|  El dia Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:34:04 +0100
| Björn Schöpe <bjoern.schoepe@gmx.de> escribio:
|

| Unfortunately I did not resolve the problem with my external harddisk,
| yet. I thought it might be a problem with the modules and controlled,
| but I think I've got everything loaded that is needed.
| lsmod |grep usb
| usb_storage            87468  1
| usbhid                 56576  0
| usbcore               145788  5 usb_storage,usbhid,ohci_hcd
| scsi_mod              118844  4 sd_mod,usb_storage,sr_mod,sbp2
|
| usb-storage before had gone and I reloaded it but did not help. The
| other usb-devices (printer, scanner) work fine except the usb memory
| stick. Can it be a mass-storage problem? But I did not change the
| kernel. I hope really, anybody could give me a hint, I need this
| external hdd, my main hdd is getting full...
| Thanks.
| -Björn.
|
| --
| Composed and send with Thunderbird on Debian "Sarge" (PPC)

- --