Re: pre-release 2.6.11-0.1 debian/powerpc kernel.

Hello Sven,

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 11:43:47AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 06:18:46PM +0000, Jochen Voss wrote:
> > 1) the trackpad does not work :-(
> >
> >   Using the trackpad has no visible effect, no input arrives at
> >   /dev/input/mice, the X pointer does not move etc.
>
> Mmm, can you try http://people.debian.org/~luther/2.6.11 now ? I thought i
> fixed this, ah now, it was the thermal detection issue.
Probably you mean http://people.debian.org/~luther/powerpc/2.6.11/ ?
I give this a try.  The following answers still apply to the -0.1 kernel.

> > 2) sound does not work
> >
> >   Everything seems fine at first: alsamixer sees controls labelled
> >   "master", "headphon", "Mix Boos", "PC Speak", "Auto Mut", "Beep".
> >   Doing "cat something.wav >/dev/audio" or similar takes the
> >   appropriate amount of time.  But no sound is actually played :-(
>
> Mmm. the kernel uses alsa and not oss, make sure that you have the needed
> userland stuff for it.
I think it is not a userland problem.  Alsaplayer etc also does not produce
sound.

> > 3) the "fn" key emits no scan code
> >
> >   I tried "showkey -s" on the console.  Pressing "fn" does not result
> >   in any output.
>
> Mmm, strange, i don't think "fn" is supposed to emit a scancode, not sure
> though.
Well, but then it should instead modify the keycodes of other keys which it
also does not do.  On my machine under Linux the fn-key seems to have no effect
at all.

> >   - the following is known, I think:
> >
> > 	adt746x: Thermostat bus: 0, address: 0x2e, limit_adjust: 0, fan_speed: -1
> > 	adt746x: Thermostat failed to read config from bus 0 !
> Should be fixed in -0.2, please test.
I will try, but since the patch posted to the list did work, I am optimistic
here.

> >   - no idea about this:
> >
> > 	ohci1394: fw-host0: Unexpected PCI resource length of 1000!
> Mmm, usb does work though.
Yes, it does except for the trackpad and the protocol errors error=-71 in
the dmesg output.

Thank you very much,
Jochen
--