Re: HELP! - problems with 2.6.8 kernel on PM G4/350 (PCI graphics)

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Daniel E. Jonsen wrote:

   1)  Lots of complaining about the firewire interface (maybe this
machine has a "Rev. 0" pcilynx chip that the 2.6.8 kernel's driver
doesn't like?).  After booting, I can't access any firewire devices.
I need to use a firewire HD for periodic backups.

You might try disabling pcilynx support, if you are compiling your own
kernel.  I think all Apple's firewire controllers were OHCI compatible,
but someone else should correct me if I'm wrong.  I've used a firewire
drive on my old 8500 with a PCI card for backup, and it has served me
very well.

   2)  Complaints about the (lack of) serial ports - "Illegal UART type
- Undefined".  Is there a "clean" way of telling the kernal that there
are no serial ports, e.g., a "dummy" serial port driver I can use?  Can
I unset CONFIG_SERIAL_CORE and CONFIG_SERIAL_PMACZILOG, or do I need
them even though this machine doesn't have any serial ports?

Be careful here though - IIRC, this machine came from a time when there
were still honest-to-goodness hardware modems in PCs and Macs.  If this
machine has an internal modem, it probably shows up as a serial port.
If you want to keep that functionality, you want to keep serial port
support.  Check dmesg output for occurences of "ttyS"

   3)  I'm not sure why, but the kernel loads the MESH module, even
though this machine, as far as I know, has no built-in SCSI.  I do
have an Adaptec (aic7xxx) PCI card installed, but it loads the aic7xxx
module for that (and calls it SCSI bus 1, while MESH is SCSI bus 0).
Can I leave MESH out of a kernel compiled specifically for this machine?

Should be okay.

In order to cure these problems and to have a leaner, meaner kernel, I installed the 2.6.8 kernel source deb that came on the Sarge distro CDs.
When I attempt to compile, the process exits abnormally as follows:

 CC      init/version.o
 LD      init/built-in.o
 LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
sound/built-in.o(.init.text+0xb68): In function `dmasound_awacs_init':
: undefined reference to `pmac_xpram_read'
make[1]: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8'
make: *** [stamp-build] Error 2
g4-debian:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8#

AWACS support probably hasn't been updated for this kernel version yet.
Take a look at a thread from a couple of days ago about my own problems
compiling a 2.6 kernel. In my case, I'm missing floppy drive support ...
You can try disabling sound support for the time being.

cheers
vinai