HELP! - problems with 2.6.8 kernel on PM G4/350 (PCI graphics)

I recently inherited a PowerMac G4/350 (PCI graphics, Jan 2000 vintage) that I'd like to use as a LAMP server on our company's intranet. I downloaded and installed the Sarge testing distribution (release 2004-11-18), and I recently upgraded the kernel using kernel-image-2.6.8-9-powerpc.deb.

Even the newer kernel has several problems on boot-up. The kernel messages from a recent boot-up can be viewed on my personal home page at http://home.comcast.net/~dejonsen/bootlog.htm . Unfortunately, dmesg overflows its buffer because of the ieee1394 business. I just noticed that the kernel messages don't include a lot of stuff that dmesg does, so if you need the dmesg output, I can post it. The main problems are:

1) Lots of complaining about the firewire interface (maybe this machine has a "Rev. 0" pcilynx chip that the 2.6.8 kernel's driver doesn't like?). After booting, I can't access any firewire devices. I need to use a firewire HD for periodic backups.

2) Complaints about the (lack of) serial ports - "Illegal UART type - Undefined". Is there a "clean" way of telling the kernal that there are no serial ports, e.g., a "dummy" serial port driver I can use? Can I unset CONFIG_SERIAL_CORE and CONFIG_SERIAL_PMACZILOG, or do I need them even though this machine doesn't have any serial ports?

3) I'm not sure why, but the kernel loads the MESH module, even though this machine, as far as I know, has no built-in SCSI. I do have an Adaptec (aic7xxx) PCI card installed, but it loads the aic7xxx module for that (and calls it SCSI bus 1, while MESH is SCSI bus 0). Can I leave MESH out of a kernel compiled specifically for this machine?

In order to cure these problems and to have a leaner, meaner kernel, I installed the 2.6.8 kernel source deb that came on the Sarge distro CDs. When I attempt to compile, the process exits abnormally as follows:

  CC      init/version.o
  LD      init/built-in.o
  LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
sound/built-in.o(.init.text+0xb68): In function `dmasound_awacs_init':
: undefined reference to `pmac_xpram_read'
make[1]: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8'
make: *** [stamp-build] Error 2
g4-debian:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8#

The entire compile sequence, or at least the part that was captured in the scrollback buffer for the terminal window, can be viewed at

    http://home.comcast.net/~dejonsen/compile.htm

The .config file for this compile attempt can be viewed at

    http://home.comcast.net/~dejonsen/config.htm

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan.