HELP! - problems with 2.6.8 kernel on PM G4/350 (PCI graphics)

I recently inherited a PowerMac G4/350 (PCI graphics, Jan 2000 vintage) that I'd like to use as a LAMP server on our company's intranet. I downloaded and installed the Sarge testing distribution (release 2004-11-18), and I recently upgraded the kernel using kernel-image-2.6.8-9-powerpc.deb.

Even the newer kernel has several problems on boot-up. The kernel messages from a recent boot-up can be viewed on my personal home page at http://home.comcast.net/~dejonsen/bootlog.htm . Unfortunately, dmesg overflows its buffer because of the ieee1394 business. I just noticed that the kernel messages don't include a lot of stuff that dmesg does, so if you need the dmesg output, I can post it. The main problems are:

1) Lots of complaining about the firewire interface (maybe this machine has a "Rev. 0" pcilynx chip that the 2.6.8 kernel's driver doesn't like?). After booting, I can't access any firewire devices. I need to use a firewire HD for periodic backups.

2) Complaints about the (lack of) serial ports - "Illegal UART type - Undefined". Is there a "clean" way of telling the kernal that there are no serial ports, e.g., a "dummy" serial port driver I can use? Can I unset CONFIG_SERIAL_CORE and CONFIG_SERIAL_PMACZILOG, or do I need them even though this machine doesn't have any serial ports?

3) I'm not sure why, but the kernel loads the MESH module, even though this machine, as far as I know, has no built-in SCSI. I do have an Adaptec (aic7xxx) PCI card installed, but it loads the aic7xxx module for that (and calls it SCSI bus 1, while MESH is SCSI bus 0). Can I leave MESH out of a kernel compiled specifically for this machine?

In order to cure these problems and to have a leaner, meaner kernel, I installed the 2.6.8 kernel source deb that came on the Sarge distro CDs. When I attempt to compile, the process exits abnormally as follows:

  CC      init/version.o
  LD      init/built-in.o
  LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
sound/built-in.o(.init.text+0xb68): In function `dmasound_awacs_init':
: undefined reference to `pmac_xpram_read'
make[1]: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8'
make: *** [stamp-build] Error 2

The entire compile sequence, or at least the part that was captured in the scrollback buffer for the terminal window, can be viewed at

The .config file for this compile attempt can be viewed at

Any help would be greatly appreciated.