Re: changing the harddisk of a 12" PowerBook 1.33GHz

Le Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 12:30:36PM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt écrivait/wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 11:34 +0100, Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > My 12" PowerBook, bought in may 2004 with a 60Gb hard disk, is mostly
> > running Linux/Debian/Sid with self-compiled kernel 2.6.10 with
> > powermanagement & lid management patches (I'm booting MacOSX only for
> > Wifi and -very rarely [did it 2 times]- for watching DVDs) and its
> > hard disk is dying. I use it mostly with the cover closed, thru ssh,
> > using the AC power supply. But I do carry it and use it on batteries
> > when needed...
>
> I never use mines with the lid closed, I don't trust the thermal cooling
> enough in that case. Also, MacOS X has aggressive thermal control,
> ramping down the CPU freq when the machine overheats, etc..., while I
> think we have quite dumber one.
>
> > Does the power management of Linux (which did make a progress lately)
> > has a practical influence on hard disk reliability. I think that
> > having the hard disk failing after 9 months is disappointing.
>
> Was the hard disk overheating ? It may just be a bad HD, that happens. I
> have a long experience of Mac laptops, and have had several cases of HD
> failing before a full year.
>
> > I intend to replace the hard disk with something a bit better (80Gb,
> > 5400RPM), like eg a 80Gb hard disk 5400RPM eg Hitachi Travelstar 5K80
> > 80 Go 2"1/2 5400 RPM 8 Mb/cache or Samsung MP0804H. Is it a reasonable
> > choice (notably in terms of reliability & power consumption).

I bought a Samsung HD, and installed it. However, apparently, I forced
to much when closing the box and the CDROM don't eject properly (and I
tried with the wrong CDROM inside)

I don't have any other Apple (or PowerBook) machines but I do have 2
PC/x86 running Debian, and I downloaded and installed the
cross-compiler (& cross-linker) packages for them:
binutils-powerpc_2.15 gcc-3.3-powerpc_3.3-3.3.3

Now, I'm trying to either boot using a USB key or thru the net. But I
am a bit stuck.

I am able to boot to openfirmware. But I cannot understand how to boot
an USB key? Does it has to be mac-fdisk formatted?

I may go to cross-compiling a linux kernel (I was able to backup the
latest kernel tree on my powerbook). but I'm not sure to understand
how to cross-make (on a PC) a PowerBook bootable USB key (I need the
minimum for netinstalling debian Sid, and for running fdisk on it).

I'm lacking basic knowledge of openfirmware. How can I know if my disk
is detected. It seems listed by devalias or dir / ls

Any hints?

email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net