changing the harddisk of a 12" PowerBook 1.33GHz

Dear All,

My 12" PowerBook, bought in may 2004 with a 60Gb hard disk, is mostly
running Linux/Debian/Sid with self-compiled kernel 2.6.10 with
powermanagement & lid management patches (I'm booting MacOSX only for
Wifi and -very rarely [did it 2 times]- for watching DVDs) and its
hard disk is dying. I use it mostly with the cover closed, thru ssh,
using the AC power supply. But I do carry it and use it on batteries
when needed...

Does the power management of Linux (which did make a progress lately)
has a practical influence on hard disk reliability. I think that
having the hard disk failing after 9 months is disappointing.

I intend to replace the hard disk with something a bit better (80Gb,
5400RPM), like eg a 80Gb hard disk 5400RPM eg Hitachi Travelstar 5K80
80 Go 2"1/2 5400 RPM 8 Mb/cache or Samsung MP0804H. Is it a reasonable
choice (notably in terms of reliability & power consumption).

Do you have hints or advice (eg good models or horror stories) for
changing the hard disk?

Regards.

email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net