Re: mkvmlinuz: how to use?

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 10:18:48PM -0300, Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete Dutra wrote:
> Em Qui, 2005-03-03 às 22:56 +0100, Sven Luther escreveu:
> >
> > mkvmlinuz is just a smallish shell script, which provided the kernel-image you
> > are using includes support for mkvmlinuz, in which is copies most of the
> > object files built in arch/ppc/boot and a few more into /usr/lib/kernel-image-*
> > so the last step of the linking can happen at kernel-image install time, so
> > you don't need to have a -pmac, -prep, -chrp and -chrp-rs6k kernel as we used
> > to have in older 2.4 times.
>
> 	The phrasing is quite confusing, but...

Of the debconf dialog ? Yep, i need to rework it, suggestions are welcome.

> 	OK, so it is there to facilitate primarily compilation, packaging
> distribution and instalation, not necessarily booting?

Yes and no. It allows to tranform the vmlinux file in a auto-bootable and
compressed vmlinuz file, which the firmware then knows how to boot.

> > If you are purely a yaboot or quik user, you can just plain ignore mkvmlinuz,
> > and as it is just a smallish script, it will not bother you otherwise.
>
> 	So it is not intended replace yaboot?

Nope, more exactly, yaboot replaced it ways back then, altough it is used on
arches where yaboot doesn't work (prep and pegasos), or for easy distribution
(kernel+initrd -> one file only) and netbooting (since IBM rs6k apparently
can't read the yaboot.conf or tftp get different files.

> 	I hoped it was something more foolproof (where fool == me) than
> yaboot...

Nah, that would be grub2, but it lacks a bit of maturity, or the fabled
prom-libc/yaboot2 combo.

Friendly,

Sven Luther