Re: keyboard layout under X11

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Jochen Voss wrote:

> Hello,
>
> since yesterday I am proud owner of a shiny new Apple powerbook G4.
> My attempts to run Debian on it are summarised at
>
>     http://seehuhn.de/comp/powerbook/
>
> My question for now is: is there a simple way to get the keyboard working correctly
> under X11?  I have a British keyboard and thus I tried
>
>     Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
>         Driver          "keyboard"
>         Option          "CoreKeyboard"
>         Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
>         Option          "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
>         Option          "XkbLayout"     "gb"
>     EndSection
>
> But this does not really work (several keys are swapped).
>
> Many thanks,
> Jochen

 I installed -testing on my recent G4 iBook last week, and the British
keyboard is almost correct (that is, matches the key tops), the key with
the back-quote and tilde gives <>, but the key to the left of '1' with a
squiggle and plus-minus gives `~.  Oh, and shift-'3' in an xterm gives #
which is mostly more use than a pound sign.  Everything else seems
correct.  And the magic combination (XFree 4.3.something) is
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xfree86"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"macintosh"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us"

Weird!  But then, this isn't really a regular British layout for @ and