Re: PCMCIA

On Tuesday 01 March 2005 08:14 pm, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 15:08:12 -0800, Dylan Beaudette <dylan@iici.no-ip.org>
wrote:
> > PCMCIA worked out of the box with Debian/Sarge on my wallstreet
>
> I'm glad someone has a positive experience, because I'd like to know,
> too -- on My "Wallstreet/PDQ" running sarge, I have trouble with
> PCMCIA. In fact, when I put in a pcmcia card it gets HOT. I could
> SMELL the Orinoco wireless card getting hot, for example. For fun I
> blame "hotplug," but I suspect I have some sort of PCMCIA module
> conflict that's fighting over whatever goes in the slot. (The Orinoco
> wireless card and compact flash card adapter both work perfectly
> booted under Mac OS 9.2.2.)

Hmmm... is this is 300Mhz Powerbook G3? thats what I have...

> I haven't spent much time tracking down the problem and everything
> else in Debian has worked so well I just reboot into OS 9 when I need
> the compact flash reader.

I am using a compact flash reader, and USB 1.1 PCMCIA card in my machine, and
all seems to be working fine. Remind me, and i will post my relevant config
files to the internet!

> One more thing I have not found a clear answer with a Wallstreet is
> getting the PCMCIA eject buttons to work. Apparently there used to be
> a patch you could apply to an old kernel, but I gather it never got
> rolled into anything modern. It would be cool if pbbuttonsd had the
> card eject code in it, though I realize that would probably never
> happen.

Alas, this may never be fixed... I have not yet found a way to get the cards
out, short of manually pulling them out... However, i think that the springs
in my slots are getting worn, and I sometimes have to do this in MacOS...

BTW, are you able to get sleep support on your machine.... also, what kernel
are you using...

Since this is such a popular machine, perhaps it would be a good idea to pool
all of our knowledge on this machine in some sort of web page... I would be
happy to host it!

--
Dylan Beaudette
University of California at Davis