Re: Which Kernel for Airport Support?

Andreas Jaggi wrote:
Hi,

* Sven Luther, Fre 25 Feb 2005 10:21:05 CET:

Thanks, is it ok with you if i publish these images in a potential
hardware-replacement project page ?

For me it's no problem.
But i don't know if Apple/Broadcom have to be asked?

It would be great to have a replacement for the Broadcom card.

Has anyone actually tried to contact Broadcom?

I was out at a bar one night and started talking to some guy. Turned out he was some
corporate supervisor from Broadcom (Broadcom is here in Socal). Of course once I found out I
started asking about the airport extreme. He wasn't an engineer so we mostly spoke on a
philosophical level. We exchanged business cards and he assured me that he would address the
matter of drivers for better or worse.

I didn't think much of it and figured he was speaking out of his neck but I do have his
contact info. Perhaps in the proper hands this could be used to engage Broadcom about our
situation.

We typically jump up and down about support for hardware but perhaps we are just not going
through the proper contacts. Yes it's a long shot but in the end we can't be any worse off
right? I'm not happy with nvida's proprietary drivers but in my eyes they are better than
nothing if you need 3D. Even if Broadcom produces proprietary drivers, it would be a step
forward in my opinion. I know we are a small market (Linux PPC users) but I still can't
imagine they would pass up the chance to help even if just for the publicity.

If you think it's worth a try and you're a prominent figure in the community then contact me
off list. I don't think it's appropriate to post this info in a public forum.

	-Eric

	- Albert Einstein