Re: powerpc 2.6.10-2 currently in NEW, available on p.d.o

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 07:33:04PM +0100, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hi Sven
>
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 11:55:09AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just uploaded the powerpc kernels 2.6.10-2 on :
> >
> >   http://people.debian.org/~luther/powerpc/2.6.10-2/
> >
> > Since they are currently held hostage in NEW again :).
> >
> > Anyway, everyone can get those and try them out. One particularity i want you
> > to test is the /etc/kernel/postinst.d/* scripts included in this package.
>
>                [ ... ]
>
> I installed it on a Titanium IV, 867 Mhz, and so far, nothing special:

Ok.

> What I don't like with this kernel: At its installation time I was
> asked, IIRC, whether I want the previously installed yaboot or the new
> mkvmlinuz as bootloader. I chose yaboot, but in spite of this

It asks only as

> selection I cannot uninstall mkvmlinuz without uninstalling the new
> 2.6.10 altogether.

And how bad is that :

 dpkg -L mkvmlinuz
 /.
 /etc
 /etc/mkvmlinuz
 /etc/mkvmlinuz/output
 /usr
 /usr/sbin
 /usr/sbin/mkvmlinuz
 /usr/share
 /usr/share/man
 /usr/share/man/man8
 /usr/share/man/man8/mkvmlinuz.8.gz
 /usr/share/doc
 /usr/share/doc/mkvmlinuz
 /usr/share/doc/mkvmlinuz/copyright
 /usr/share/doc/mkvmlinuz/changelog.gz

mkvmlinuz just contains a lousy script and its manpage, assuredly it cannot
hurt you. If we go forward with this, i will probably change this dependency
by : mkvmlinuz | yaboot | quik | powerpc-bootloader, where powerpc-bootloader
is a virtual package provided by the aboves, this should install mkvmlinuz by
default, but still allow you to use yaboot or quik. Well, i think so. Mmm,
after more thinking i am not so sure about this anymore.

But seriously, why would you want to remove mkvmlinuz ? it uses just 32K of
installed size, and contrary to quik or yaboot, it does nothing per se.

> Actually I thought it should be easy for the package manager
> to see if mkvmlinuz is not needed. And consequently should let me get
> rid of the tool ..

No, sorry it is not, since the dependencies are static, and the info about
mkvmlinuz is needed or not is only available once you reply to the debconf
qustion.

> Or what did I miss ?

Not really.

> Thanks Sven .. :)