Re: where's tfm?

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 05:59:57PM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> Actually ... control is behind the "chaos" chip which is a PCI device
> (it contains DBDMA engines so one could theorically write some blit
> acceleration there ...)

I guess I'm out of date. I haven't regularly used my 7600 since the 2.2
kernels were current. Looking at the 2.6 code, the chaos bus should get
exported as a PCI bus. It didn't on the kernel I still have installed
on my old box.

At one point someone disassembled the macos video driver and said it
used DBDMA transfers for faster copies, so it apparently is helpful.
I can probably find the email in my archives, but I think there are
archives on the net of the relevant lists.

> I'm surprised that chaos isn't showing up there, could be a problem with
> the PCI code on these old machines.

I doubt it gets the kind of testing that the newer stuff does. I think
only the 7x00 and 8x00 models had the chaos bridge.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com