Japanese Input on Sarge/KDE

Hi everyone.

In the past I have been able to get a working japaese input system with
canna-server and kinput2.

i start the input environment with a little script:
export LANG=ja_JP
kinput2 -xim -kinput -canna &
uxterm&

from the uxterm i can start typing in japanese by first pressing
"shift+space". in the past any KDE application started from this uxterm would
allow me to input japanes into a text field by first pressing
"shift+space"... A couple of months ago this stopped working. Could there be
something that has changed since then?

Also, i was advised to add the following to my .xinitrc:
export XMODIFIERS='@im=kinput2

however i am not really sure what this is doing..

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

--
Dylan Beaudette