poerbook can only sleep once

Greetings,

I have been using Sarge on my powerbook G3 Mainstreet (upgraded to a 500mhz G4
processor), and have been generally very happy with it.

I am using the  pbbuttonsd to manage the battery, display, sound, and
powersaving features of the machine.

I can make the machine sleep by pressing the power key once, and then pressing
any other key. Waking the machine is normal. Upon waking I have to restart
the PCMCIA system (any ideas on how to do this automatically?).

However! Pressing the power button will only put the machine to sleep once per
reboot cycle! I have tried restarting pbbuttonsd, but this does not seem to
fix the problem...

I am using a stock debian kernel:
kernel-image-2.4.27-powerpc-pmac

Any ideas?