Re: New xfce4 packages

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 the mental interface of
Simon Huggins told:

> On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 01:25:03AM +0100, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> > On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 the mental interface of
> > Simon Huggins told:
> > [...]
> > > In short, Martin and I had a plan to upload the RC1 packages to
> > > experimental - I made some further changes to the 4.2RC1 xfdesktop
> > > code which Brian picked up in CVS for 4.2 and released in RC3 I
> > > believe.  I think the packages Martin and I have between us could
> > > easily be updated to the lastest RC and go to experimental now.
> > I didn't noticed these packages?
>
> I've never heard of you before in my life until Guido forwarded your
> mail to me yet I'm subscribed to all the PTS lists of the packages and

Same on me.

> I'm the guy listed in the changelogs recently for more recent 4.0.x
> uploads.

Respect ;-)

> I'm sorry but I'm not psychic

why?

> so I didn't contact you when
> we'd prepared 4.1.99.1 packages.

Should be my fault ;-9

> > > I was planning on working on getting CVS HEAD to build now 4.2.0 is
> > > closer so when it is released we can have them there.  The issue
> > > after that is to sort out the xfce4-goodies packages.
> > Which is done already by os-cillation.
>
> I've not looked at the os-cillation (now os-works) -goodies packages but
> we can't ship the base 4.2 packages from os-works as they're not just
> 4.2.  They are 4.2 + some xfld patches and in some cases (xfdesktop in
> particular) they have 4.3 code in them that we can't guarantee will be
> supported.

Which is actually 4.3.6.4.

> > > Our packages (source + i386) are at http://the.earth.li/~huggie/xfce4/
> > > and http://people.debian.org/~madkiss/xfce4/
>
> Since then xfce 4.2 has released and the first URL has all the 4.2
> packages - I believe Madkiss is looking at potentially uploading these
> to experimental.

So we have to check packages. Unfortunally there will be a big
version mismatch :(

> > Xfce4.2 packages for ppc are available at:
> > deb http://www.lxtec.de/debarchiv binary-powerpc/
> > deb-src http://www.lxtec.de/debarchiv sources/
>
> Are these just recompiles for PPC of the 4.2 packages above?
> http://the.earth.li/~huggie/xfce4/

These packages are modified os-cillation ones.

> > Sorry Benny, but I removed the xfld stuff..... ;-)
>
> Quite.  We can't distribute this in good faith if we are staying true to
> the xfce.org tarballs.

Who can distribute ppc packages then? I think I'll remove my
repository to sync to the maintainer sources. But anyway this can be
done by an upload to _sid_ as well!

> Emanuele Rocca persuaded Andrew Lau to open up the alioth project for
> xfce so your efforts might well be better used there.

Hmmm. I need some further explanations here.

Ciao

Elimar

--
  Numeric stability is probably not all that
  important when you're guessing;-)