Re: New xfce4 packages

[ Not sure what the relevance of -powerpc is here but respecting the
mail-followup-to ]

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 10:37:00AM +0100, Guido Guenther wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 12:52:34PM +0100, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> > On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 the mental interface of
> > Guido Guenther told:
> > > Xfce4 is being maintained by several people, not only Martin.
> > > Well, this is exactly what my quistion is about. Why don't you work with
> > > the debian package maintainers of xfce4. Having just another package
> > > repository for packages that should (and can) be in the main archive is
> > > just a bad idea.
> > http://www.os-cillation.de/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=deb-news;action=display;num=1104334203
> Did anybody try to ping Daniel or Sam yet? Its unlikely the maintainers
> will just pickup the packages as they are, but I'm almost sure they're
> glad to accept patches against the current packages.

[ If you don't know who I am, I've spent the past year mostly
maintaining xfce4 whilst Martin was busier and ensuring that sarge
shipped with 4.0.x at least ]

Martin Loschwitz and I have packages for 4.2RC1 which we think are
better and more likely to go into Debian than the ones Benny's been
pushing through os-cillation.  They're not really publically available
at the moment - they're not in a particularly releasable state.

For a start these are actually entirely the 4.2 code and don't have his
xfdesktop 4.3.x experimental code (which may well be better but it's a
bit unfair to call that 4.2 code).

Also Benny's original packages were Debian native packages and we would
never want to upload as such to Debian.  There was an issue of one of
the libraries not reflecting the new soname too that we had to fix.
I've not looked at them recently but this was true around RC1 time as
that's when we decided to package them ourselves.

Basically we're very happy for Benny to produce debian packages for
testing as it allows testing of the as yet unreleased versions of Xfce
which can only be good for xfce in general but we can't upload those
packages directly to experimental as they are.

This is nothing against Benny personally - he's helped me a lot in the
past when decisions taken before I played with xfce4 like including the
unreleased xfce4-session manager meant maintaining something upstream
weren't.

In short, Martin and I had a plan to upload the RC1 packages to
experimental - I made some further changes to the 4.2RC1 xfdesktop code
which Brian picked up in CVS for 4.2 and released in RC3 I believe.  I
think the packages Martin and I have between us could easily be updated
to the lastest RC and go to experimental now.  I was planning on working
on getting CVS HEAD to build now 4.2.0 is closer so when it is released
we can have them there.  The issue after that is to sort out the
xfce4-goodies packages.

Our packages (source + i386) are at http://the.earth.li/~huggie/xfce4/
and http://people.debian.org/~madkiss/xfce4/

People are obviously getting worried about xfce4 in Debian.  I've
created a new list to discuss all of this since there hasn't been a huge
amount of coordination in the past.

You can subscribe to it by mailing xfce4-debian-subscribe@zurg.org and
I'd invite all interested parties to do so.

I'm glad you brought this to my attention Guido as I don't ever follow
forums and I've not seen any mention of this on the xfce lists I'm on.

--
Simon Huggins  \ "Rule six:  There is no... rule six." - Monty Python
                \