Re: PPC Firewire support on 2.4.18-newpmac/Debian-3.0 r1 install CD?

Hi.

Thanks a lot to all those responding so far ...

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 10:26:05AM -0600, vinai wrote:
> Wolfgang,
>
> In the interests of time, I would recommend your trying the ext2 VFS
> extension for Mac OS X, which can be found at:
>
>     http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx/
>
> I've been using a powerbook drive in a firewire case on my Pismo PB
> for the better part of the last 2 years.  This software is a kernel
> extension, and allows you to access ext2 volumes from within Mac OS
> X.  I think it also works for ext3, but it ignores the journal.

I have only Linux installed on this Titanium :) ... I'm still not
quite sure whether it makes sense to
1: install OSX and
2: install the ext2 extension for OSX ... above all because it's not
clear whether this extension will render OSX capable of reading the
ext3 filesystem on my old disk ...

>                       [ ... ]

But I just installed a new kernel:
kernel-image-2.4.27-power4-pmac (correct for Titanium IV ? ... )

When trying to boot 2.4.27 I get this (I think that's still the Open
Firmware stage where this happens - and I could not copy the following: I
had to type the following ... hoping I didn't make any typos):

--------------------------------------
returning 0x01400000 from pro_init

Invalid memory access at [unreadable]SRR0: 00540000 [unread]SRR1: 54000000

I ignored the "quik" questions during the 2.4.27 install, i.e. I typed
"no" when it asked whether to install some boot (?)  parameters to
/dev/hda4: hda4 is my root partition, and I wanted it to use hda2, my
bootstrap partition ...

And what is this "quik" stuff: Do I need it for 2.4.27: I'd like to
get rid of quik, and remove it from the system ... Will it be a problem?

And yes: I changed yaboot.conf for the new kernel:
-------------------------------
boot=/dev/hda2
device=hd:
partition=4
root=/dev/hda4
timeout=30
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
default=Linux
enablecdboot

image=/vmlinux
	label=Linux
	read-only

image=/vmlinux.old
	label=Linux2.4.18
	read-only
---------------------------------

ran 'ybin -v': nothing ....

I have no idea what's going on: I can still boot my old 2.4.18
kernel. 2.4.27 broken?

Anyone?

TIA

Wolfgang

> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
>
> > Hi All
> >
> > Sorry for asking here instead of browsing Google: But I have not even 24
> > hours to rescue some configs from a broken hard disk. Data, i.e. Linux
> > configs, that are lost forever if I don't find some way to access them in
> > the next few hours on the old disk. I can't keep the old disk, as
> > Apple, as it seems, wants it back after I got a new one via the
> > warranty I still have with an "Apple Care Protection Plan" ...
> >
> > The details:
> > The hard disk broke on a PowerBook G4 (TitaniumIV). The repair service
> > already installed a new disk to this machine. I need access to the old
> > disk: The repair service will give me the chance to access the data on
> > the old disk via a firewire connection from the Titanium to the broken
> > disk. This will happen tomorrow noon.

                        [ ... ]