PPC Firewire support on 2.4.18-newpmac/Debian-3.0 r1 install CD?

Hi All

Sorry for asking here instead of browsing Google: But I have not even 24
hours to rescue some configs from a broken hard disk. Data, i.e. Linux
configs, that are lost forever if I don't find some way to access them in
the next few hours on the old disk. I can't keep the old disk, as
Apple, as it seems, wants it back after I got a new one via the
warranty I still have with an "Apple Care Protection Plan" ...

The details:
The hard disk broke on a PowerBook G4 (TitaniumIV). The repair service
already installed a new disk to this machine. I need access to the old
disk: The repair service will give me the chance to access the data on
the old disk via a firewire connection from the Titanium to the broken
disk. This will happen tomorrow noon.

Current software on the Titanium:

A very rudimentary Debian/testing system is installed: Just enough
packages to get the machine booting from the new hard disk, with some
additional stuff like curl, lynx etc.. The kernel version on this
system is a 2.4.18-newpmac.

My idea now was to either boot the Titanium from the Debian/3.0 r1 install
CD, to start the first few installer steps and then to copy the data
from the old, broken via firewire connected disk to the new disk
inside the Titanium. Or, alternatively, simply boot the Debian system
from the new disk and try to connect it to the old, via firewire
connected disk outside the PowerBook.

The problem: I do not know, whether the Debian 3.0 r1 installer
system - that is, the 2.4.18 kernel - will *see* the old, via firewire to
the Titanium connected disk.

And I also don't know anything about firewire technology until now; I
just had a look to the 2.4.18 config on the Titanium /boot dir, and I
see several instances of "CONFIG_IEEE1394*" modules. This actually
means this kernel is ready for firewire connections?  Positive?

Excerpt from the current 2.4.18 config:
----------------------------------
CONFIG_IEEE1394=m
CONFIG_IEEE1394_PCILYNX=m
CONFIG_IEEE1394_OHCI1394=m
CONFIG_IEEE1394_VIDEO1394=m
CONFIG_IEEE1394_SBP2=m
CONFIG_IEEE1394_RAWIO=m
----------------------------------

I consider installing a newer 2.6 (2.4?) kernel for the fresher
firewire drivers:

Does anyone know where to get a readily installable, pre-compiled
ppc kernel that does not boot via initrd: I don't want this initrd stuff
on my machine, if possible: It is complicating things unnecessarily,
AFAICT ..

And last question - important because I need to find a way to mount
the old disk outside:
How does the kernel call a hard disk that is connected via firewire:
/dev/hd[?] ... Or something else?

Best Regards

And thanks in anticipation

Wolfgang