Re: Power on powerbook G4

Guillaume Florey wrote:
Hi all,
I have one question about the behaviour of the battery on my powerbook G4:
When the battery is full, and the electricity cable is still plug-in, does this damage the battery ? I heard that when the battery full is, you have to unplug the cable and wait before plug-in, till the battery empty is. I wanted to know if I can leave the electricity cable plug-in with full battery, without damaging my battery ?

I'm not an expert on that mather, but it should'nt be a problem because the battery stop being recharged when it is full (it is managed directly by the battery firmware I believe).

Many batteries can have problems if they don't have full charge/discharge cycles, but it is not a problems with lithium-ion batteries. If you always keep your battery full (because you keep it at home or at your work place) Apple recommand to do the equivalent of a full charge/discharge cycle once a month to keep the electron flowing periodically. But you don't have to discharge it all in one time (you can discharge it by 2/3 once and in few days by 1/3 and it still count as a full cycle for your battery). That is not true for lead based batteries and most others.

There is batteries that will have shorther life if they don't have full charge/discharge cycles, but it is not your case.

Simon Valiquette
http://gulus.USherbrooke.ca
http://www.gulus.org