Re: PPC Firewire support on 2.4.18-newpmac/Debian-3.0 r1 install CD?

Wolfgang,

In the interests of time, I would recommend your trying the ext2 VFS
extension for Mac OS X, which can be found at:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx/

I've been using a powerbook drive in a firewire case on my Pismo PB
for the better part of the last 2 years.  This software is a kernel
extension, and allows you to access ext2 volumes from within Mac OS
X.  I think it also works for ext3, but it ignores the journal.

The only problems I've had with this software is from trying to work
with files on the ext2 volumes from the Finder - that does (or did)
not work. However, working with a command line from Terminal.app, or
from an xterm in X11 should be just fine.

And at least this way, you don't have to worry about Firewire support.
>From what I recall, firewire support started working stably (for me
at least) at ~ 2.4.16 to 2.4.18, so the Debian installer might be at
that edge of support.  If your disk is in another format, like xfs or
jfs or reiser, this won't work ...  Good luck !

cheers
vinai