Re: PPC Firewire support on 2.4.18-newpmac/Debian-3.0 r1 install CD?

If (the proposed solution by vinai does not work or) you insist on
using linux to get your data you could download the gnoppix (ubuntu)
beta live image and start from there. is possible that you will have
the harddisk's icon on the desktop, so you won't have to worry about
/dev/whatever :)

I used this http://source.rfc822.org/pub/local/gnoppix/gnoppix/beta/hoary_0.9.3b3-powerpc.iso
to boot from, on a PowerBook G4 and worked fine.

Also there is: http://source.rfc822.org/pub/local/gnoppix/gnoppix/beta/hoary_0.9.3b2-powerpc.iso
but I guess the newer the better.

PS: I haven't tried firewire transfer on linux (neither on gnoppix or
debian) so I can't say it works, but I guess, since the
debian-installer team added download support through firewire devices
(as ethernet), it works fine.

Good luck,
EddyP