Re: Help compiling a kernel for iMac rev B

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 10:06:35PM -0800, Shyamal Prasad wrote:
>     "Chris" == Chris Doherty <c_doherty@hotpop.com> writes:
>
>     Chris> It's not that they don't work, it's that they're
>     Chris> nonexistent.  Here's the relevant section from the README.
>
>     Chris> "Prerequisites:
>     Chris> [...deleted....]
>
> We must be looking at different package versions....I had downloaded
> linux-wlan-ng 0.2.0+0.2.1pre21-1 (in testing/sarge). It says (among
> other things)
>
> ######## quote ########
> I do occasionally miss kernel releases so if it seems that I have not
> noticed a new kernel release and built drivers for it, check the bug
> tracking system at <http://bugs.debian.org/linux-wlan-ng> and if there
> is not yet a bug, file one."
> ######## end quote ########
>
> I looked at the page and, well, it seems like the bug has been
> reported a while ago. Further down in README.Debian file
>
> ######## quote ########
> Building kernel modules for stock debian kernels:
>
> As root, install the build dependencies for your kernel and for
> linux-wlan-ng:
> # apt-get build-dep linux-wlan-ng kernel-image-2.4.25-i386

I am not 100% sure this applies to 2.6 kernels, and as far as i am concerned,
the linux-wlan-ng package is over buggy and should be removed from the
archive. It is not providing a nice -source package for use with make-kpkg, it
is not having good support for usb wifi keys, and mostly speaks about pcmcia
stuff, and it doesn't provide kernel modules for the released kernels like mol
does. And it has 3 RC bugs on it.

Friendly,

Sven Luther