Re: Help compiling a kernel for iMac rev B

    "Chris" == Chris Doherty <c_doherty@hotpop.com> writes:

    Chris> It's not that they don't work, it's that they're
    Chris> nonexistent.  Here's the relevant section from the README.

    Chris> "Prerequisites:
    Chris> [...deleted....]

We must be looking at different package versions....I had downloaded
linux-wlan-ng 0.2.0+0.2.1pre21-1 (in testing/sarge). It says (among
other things)

######## quote ########
I do occasionally miss kernel releases so if it seems that I have not
noticed a new kernel release and built drivers for it, check the bug
tracking system at <http://bugs.debian.org/linux-wlan-ng> and if there
is not yet a bug, file one."
######## end quote ########

I looked at the page and, well, it seems like the bug has been
reported a while ago. Further down in README.Debian file

######## quote ########
Building kernel modules for stock debian kernels:

As root, install the build dependencies for your kernel and for
linux-wlan-ng:
# apt-get build-dep linux-wlan-ng kernel-image-2.4.25-i386

Get the kernel in /usr/src:
/usr/src$ apt-get source kernel-image-2.4.25-i386

Get linux-wlan-ng source in /usr/src/modules (you may have to make it):
/usr/src/modules$ apt-get source linux-wlan-ng

Build the module packages, replacing 'k7' with your kernel flavour(s),
or leave it blank to build for all kernel flavours:
/usr/src/kernel-image-2.4.25-i386-2.4.25$ sh /usr/src/modules/linux-wlan-ng-0.2.0/debian/build-binary-modules k7"
######## end quote ########

It *looks* simple enough to me, but hey, I have not actually done it ;-)
Apologies if I'm wasting bandwidth.

    >> I'm sorry to hear that.

    Chris> That I'm disenchanted or that I used to be a Windows admin?
    Chris> ;-)

I'm sorry to hear that you're disenchanted ;-) Debian is actually a
very nice distribution but it does have a bit of a learning
curve at times. I hope things get better from here on.

I've never been a Windows admin so I've got no idea if you deserve
and/or need any sympathy for that!

Cheers!
Shyamal