Re: 43p-140 install issues

On Thursday 13 January 2005 11:36, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 10:23:11AM +0100, Philippe Guyot wrote:
> > On Wednesday 12 January 2005 18:03, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > Alternatively, you can boot into d-i, and then chroot to your system,
> > > install ssh or another network client, and move
> > > /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-powerpc to your /tftpboot partition.

I did that, ftp-ing vmlinux, not vmlinuz. may be a mistake ?
And netbooting gave this:

0 > boot net
LOAD: Waiting 60 seconds for Spanning Tree
BOOTP R = 1 BOOTP S = 1
FILE: /tftpboot/vmlinux
Load Addr=0x1000000 Max Size=0x7000000
FINAL Packet Count = 7744   Final File Size = 3964695 bytes.
INIT-PROGRAM: ELF-LOADER
Endian mode : Load Address = 1000000
signature 0x7f454c46 : 7f454c46
class           0x01 : 1
ei_data         0x01 : 2
ei_version      0x01 : 1
type          0x0002 : 2
machine       0x0014 : 14
version   0x00000001 : 1
entry     0x02001b40 : c0000000
phoff     0x00000034 : 34
shoff     0x000180f4 : 2c259c
flags     0x00000000 : 0
ehsize    0x00000034 : 34
phentsize 0x00000020 : 20
phnum     0x00000002 : 2
shentsize 0x00000028 : 28
shnum     0x0000000a : 26
shstrndx  0x00000008 : 23

No ELF note section found in the image !!! Number of program headers : 2
pheader # 1 -------------------------------------
type   = PT_LOAD
offset = 10000
vaddr  = c0000000
paddr  = 1010000
filesz = 2aca40
memsz  = 2e2f2c
flags  = 7
align  = 10000
about to $sync-cache ... ... done with $sync-cache
pheader # 2 -------------------------------------
type   = unknown type of Program Header in ELF file
offset = 0
vaddr  = 0
paddr  = 0
filesz = 0
memsz  = 0
flags  = 7
align  = 4
exiting ELF section

exit INIT-PROGRAM: ELF-LOADER

Is it because of vmlinux instead of vmlinuz ??
And why an ELF on a PReP machine ?

BTW, I believed that vmlinuz is compressed and vmlinux not, but in /boot,
vmlinux is about 3 MB and vmlinuz about 6 MB.....

> > I should have think of that myself!
> > So this kernel should assume that root is /dev/sda3 (or /dev/scsi/.....)
> > right ?
>
> There are two things here. Effectively, the kernel assumes root=/dev/sda3
> (it is hardcoded to it), but naturally, if no root= argument was given at
> all, the initrd does know about what the root= partition is, and know how
> to go to it.
>
> i wonder if we should disable root=/dev/sda3 in the -prep kernel, since i
> believe this is what breaks the without arg d-i loading and means you need
> to add root=/dev/ram.
>
> Let me experiment a bit with this, ok ?

ok. I'll make tests when you want.

> > > Yep.

> > > Ah, forgot -o loop, but this is not needed anymore, as we detected your
> > > problem, you where not using the installed kernel, but the
> > > debian-installer one, and thus altough it is the same kernel, using the
> > > wrong initrd.
> >
> > I'll do it however, for my knowledge.
>
> Ok

Mount needs -o loop and was OK. I saw a lot of files in
lib/modules/2.6.8-powerpc/kernel/drivers/scsi/
Shoul be cool.