Re: 43p-140 install issues

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 10:23:11AM +0100, Philippe Guyot wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 January 2005 18:03, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Alternatively, you can boot into d-i, and then chroot to your system,
> > install ssh or another network client, and move /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-powerpc
> > to your /tftpboot partition.
>
> I should have think of that myself!
> So this kernel should assume that root is /dev/sda3 (or /dev/scsi/.....)
> right ?

There are two things here. Effectively, the kernel assumes root=/dev/sda3 (it
is hardcoded to it), but naturally, if no root= argument was given at all, the
initrd does know about what the root= partition is, and know how to go to it.

i wonder if we should disable root=/dev/sda3 in the -prep kernel, since i
believe this is what breaks the without arg d-i loading and means you need to
add root=/dev/ram.

Let me experiment a bit with this, ok ?

> > > Any relationship with the PCI errors ?

> > > Just now I can't boot, I have to netboot and go reinstall until  /target
> > > will be available, no ?
> >
> > Yep.
> >
> > > And.. /boot/initrd.img is not a device, I don't see how to mount it.
> >
> > Ah, forgot -o loop, but this is not needed anymore, as we detected your
> > problem, you where not using the installed kernel, but the debian-installer
> > one, and thus altough it is the same kernel, using the wrong initrd.
>
> I'll do it however, for my knowledge.

Ok.

Friendly,

Sven Luther