Re: 43p-140 install issues

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 02:26:07PM +0100, Philippe Guyot wrote:
> On Thursday 13 January 2005 11:36, Sven Luther wrote:
>

> I did that, ftp-ing vmlinux, not vmlinuz. may be a mistake ?

Sure, vmlinux is the pure elf file, and don't include the prep boot-loader
stuff. It will work only with yaboot, and since yaboot is not supported on
prep ...

So, we have this little tool, called mkvmlinuz, which does the necessary
compressing and linking steps, to produce a zImage.prep or zImage-initrd.prep,
and which is installed and setup to be used automatically by d-i, thus
yielding you a /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-powerpc, which contains not only the
prep-bootloader, but also the initrd corresponding to your machine, and
generated by mkinitrd in the kernel-image package's postinst script.

> And netbooting gave this:
>
> 0 > boot net
> LOAD: Waiting 60 seconds for Spanning Tree
> BOOTP R = 1 BOOTP S = 1
> FILE: /tftpboot/vmlinux
> Load Addr=0x1000000 Max Size=0x7000000
> FINAL Packet Count = 7744   Final File Size = 3964695 bytes.
> INIT-PROGRAM: ELF-LOADER
> Endian mode : Load Address = 1000000
> signature 0x7f454c46 : 7f454c46
> class           0x01 : 1
> ei_data         0x01 : 2
> ei_version      0x01 : 1
> type          0x0002 : 2
> machine       0x0014 : 14
> version   0x00000001 : 1
> entry     0x02001b40 : c0000000
> phoff     0x00000034 : 34
> shoff     0x000180f4 : 2c259c
> flags     0x00000000 : 0
> ehsize    0x00000034 : 34
> phentsize 0x00000020 : 20
> phnum     0x00000002 : 2
> shentsize 0x00000028 : 28
> shnum     0x0000000a : 26
> shstrndx  0x00000008 : 23
>
> No ELF note section found in the image !!! Number of program headers : 2
> pheader # 1 -------------------------------------
> type   = PT_LOAD
> offset = 10000
> vaddr  = c0000000
> paddr  = 1010000
> filesz = 2aca40
> memsz  = 2e2f2c
> flags  = 7
> align  = 10000
> about to $sync-cache ... ... done with $sync-cache
> pheader # 2 -------------------------------------
> type   = unknown type of Program Header in ELF file
> offset = 0
> vaddr  = 0
> paddr  = 0
> filesz = 0
> memsz  = 0
> flags  = 7
> align  = 4
> exiting ELF section
>
> exit INIT-PROGRAM: ELF-LOADER
>

> Is it because of vmlinux instead of vmlinuz ??

Sure.

> And why an ELF on a PReP machine ?

Because you are *NOT* supposed to use the vmlinux, but the vmlinuz file, see
above.

> BTW, I believed that vmlinuz is compressed and vmlinux not, but in /boot,
> vmlinux is about 3 MB and vmlinuz about 6 MB.....

Because vmlinuz includes the initrd, naturally. Also, i believe there is a
little problem, you need to edit /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf, and set :

# What modules to install.
MODULES=dep

So the initrd will not include too many stuff, and thus fail to boot on
machines which have problem with too big initrds, of which prep may be one
example.

> Mount needs -o loop and was OK. I saw a lot of files in
> lib/modules/2.6.8-powerpc/kernel/drivers/scsi/
> Shoul be cool.

Too much though, i guess your initrd is around 5MB, compressed, while it could
be able to be below 1.5MB.

Friendly,

Sven Luther