Re: howto move from yellow dog -> debian

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 11:17:05AM -0500, Russell McManus wrote:

> Holger Levsen <debian@layer-acht.org> writes:
>
> > On Monday 10 January 2005 03:17, Russell McManus wrote:
> >> I've got a 9600/MP running yellow dog linux, that I'd like to upgrade
> >> to sarge.  But I had some trouble with the sarge install cd, which I
> >> have so far been unable to resolve.  (See Message-ID:
> >> <878y8h7i25.fsf@thelonious.dyndns.org>, subject line was "sarge
> >> install help on 9600MP")
> >
> > According to your message, your network card (mace) was not
> > detected. But you didn't tell which version of the debian-installer
> > you've tried. Did you try the release candidate 2 from
> > http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer ? (it has support for
> > the mace driver.)
>
> I downloaded an install iso from that site, not sure exactly which
> one.  The md5 sum of the iso I used is:
>
>   MD5 (sarge-powerpc-1.iso) = a618fe6371390f2673b729ce673c3715
>
> I couldn't find md5 sums for the iso's that are available to nail down
> exactly which one I used.
>
> > If your system can only boot from floppy, you could also try
> > http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-powerpc/rc2/images/powerpc/floppy-2.4/
>
> Thanks for the pointer.  I haven't tried floppy booting, but I don't
> think that will help, because the problem is not booting, but later on
> during the install process.
>
> Could the problem be related to the fact that I have an add-on pci NIC
> inside the case in addition to the mc0 on-board interface?
>
> Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated,

Make sure to fill a proper installation report, and we would gladly rather
help you fix d-i booting on your hardware, than suggesting you to go for a
fancy in-place-upgrade-and-replacement solution. There is debtakeover, but the
time i tried it, it failed (sure, i had no access to the box, only ssh, and it
was x86), but i am not sure debtakeover is YDL knowledgeable.

Friendly,

Sven Luther