Re: howto move from yellow dog -> debian

Hi Russel,

cc:ed cause I'm not sure wether you read the list...

On Monday 10 January 2005 03:17, Russell McManus wrote:
> I've got a 9600/MP running yellow dog linux, that I'd like to upgrade
> to sarge.  But I had some trouble with the sarge install cd, which I
> have so far been unable to resolve.  (See Message-ID:
> <878y8h7i25.fsf@thelonious.dyndns.org>, subject line was "sarge
> install help on 9600MP")

According to your message, your network card (mace) was not detected. But you
didn't tell which version of the debian-installer you've tried. Did you try
the release candidate 2 from http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer ?
(it has support for the mace driver.)

If your system can only boot from floppy, you could also try
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-powerpc/rc2/images/powerpc/floppy-2.4/

> So I would like to ask: are there any nifty ways to install sarge from
> a running, non-debian system?

You could also bootstrap your system as Shyamal Prasa suggested.

regards,
 Holger