d-i on pmac 9600 (was Re: howto move from yellow dog -> debian

Hi,

On Monday 10 January 2005 17:17, Russell McManus wrote:
> Holger Levsen <debian@layer-acht.org> writes:
> > On Monday 10 January 2005 03:17, Russell McManus wrote:
> >> I've got a 9600/MP running yellow dog linux, that I'd like to upgrade
> >> to sarge.  But I had some trouble with the sarge install cd, which I
> > According to your message, your network card (mace) was not
> > detected. But you didn't tell which version of the debian-installer
> > you've tried. Did you try the release candidate 2 from
> > http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer ? (it has support for
> > the mace driver.)
> I downloaded an install iso from that site, not sure exactly which
> one.  The md5 sum of the iso I used is:
>
>   MD5 (sarge-powerpc-1.iso) = a618fe6371390f2673b729ce673c3715

Well, this is the first cd of a full cd set. But I have no idea which one and
google also doesn't know that md5-sum.

> I couldn't find md5 sums for the iso's that are available to nail down
> exactly which one I used.

To be safe, you could just download a netinstall-image of rc2, it's only
~200mb.

> > If your system can only boot from floppy, you could also try
> > http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-powerpc/rc2/ima
> >ges/powerpc/floppy-2.4/
> Thanks for the pointer.  I haven't tried floppy booting, but I don't
> think that will help, because the problem is not booting, but later on
> during the install process.

I'm pretty sure this is fixed in rc2.

> Could the problem be related to the fact that I have an add-on pci NIC
> inside the case in addition to the mc0 on-board interface?

Maybe, dunno. For testing purposes you could unplug it :)

> Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated,
> -russ

you're welcome. If rc2 doesn't help, you should try to post on debian-boot@,
this is the mailing list for the new installer. Alternativly, you could send
a bug report (package: debian-installer).

regards,
 Holger