Re: howto move from yellow dog -> debian

Holger Levsen <debian@layer-acht.org> writes:

> On Monday 10 January 2005 03:17, Russell McManus wrote:
>> I've got a 9600/MP running yellow dog linux, that I'd like to upgrade
>> to sarge.  But I had some trouble with the sarge install cd, which I
>> have so far been unable to resolve.  (See Message-ID:
>> <878y8h7i25.fsf@thelonious.dyndns.org>, subject line was "sarge
>> install help on 9600MP")
>
> According to your message, your network card (mace) was not
> detected. But you didn't tell which version of the debian-installer
> you've tried. Did you try the release candidate 2 from
> http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer ? (it has support for
> the mace driver.)

I downloaded an install iso from that site, not sure exactly which
one.  The md5 sum of the iso I used is:

  MD5 (sarge-powerpc-1.iso) = a618fe6371390f2673b729ce673c3715

I couldn't find md5 sums for the iso's that are available to nail down
exactly which one I used.

> If your system can only boot from floppy, you could also try
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-powerpc/rc2/images/powerpc/floppy-2.4/

Thanks for the pointer.  I haven't tried floppy booting, but I don't
think that will help, because the problem is not booting, but later on
during the install process.

Could the problem be related to the fact that I have an add-on pci NIC
inside the case in addition to the mc0 on-board interface?

Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated,
-russ