Re: No sound: Deb Sarge on G4 iMac

On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 10:39:21AM -0500, Harvey Ussery wrote:
> But I must have a config prob somewhere, because I have zero sound in
> the system. Start a music CD & I can tell from the player that it is
> being played--but nada on sound. I can't even ring the system bell.

For the audio CD, you will need the digital sound driver working.
Apple has been too cheap for years to put in the analog cable from
the drive to the sound controller, so it has to be read as data from
the CD and output to the sound chip. The system bell on macs is also
done through the sound driver.

I don't know enough about ALSA to really help with the config, tho.

> As far as I can tell, my sound card is ID'd as "Apple Tumbler" and that
> it emulates alsa--though frankly, I can't find my way back to that
> hardware ID. I don't see an obvious sound card ID at lspci:

It's not a PCI device.

> >0001:01:17.0 ff00: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo/Pangea Mac I/O

The sound and a ton of other stuff is all accessed through macio.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com