Re: No sound: Deb Sarge on G4 iMac (Addendum)

On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 11:50:33AM -0500, Harvey Ussery wrote:
> >harvey@doob:~$ cat /dev/sndstat
> >Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.4 emulation code)
> >Kernel: Linux doob 2.6.8-powerpc #1 Sun Oct 3 13:22:21 CEST 2004 ppc
> >Config options: 0
> >
> >Installed drivers:
> >Type 10: ALSA emulation
> >
> >Card config:
> >PowerMac Tumbler (Dev 29) Sub-frame 0
> >
> >Audio devices:
> >0: PowerMac Tumbler
> >
> >Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
> >
> >Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
> >
> >Timers:
> >7: system timer
> >
> >Mixers:
> >0: PowerMac Tumbler
> >harvey@doob:~$
>
> "Audio devices" apparently config'd. Since I'm only interested in basic
> audio, I shouldn't be concerned that Synth & Midi are not config'd, right?

This looks okay. Synth and Midi show the same for me too. I think this is
normal as this is the OSS emulation info.

> What about sound drivers?

You already have that loaded. It's the snd_powermac module.

> Again, many thanks to anyone who can get me started on the correct
> diagnostic path why I don't have sound enabled.    --Harvey

The first think I'd try next is to run alsamixer and make sure the volume
is turned up. Next, try to play a sample sound using aplay. If you get
any errors, post them. If you hear no sound with aplay, try the '-v' and
'-vv' switches. The last one should show continuous output for a while.

The only other thing I can think of is that the OSS driver might be
built into your kernel. I don't know if this is a Debian practice or not.
What kernel are you on? (uname -r)

--
Martin